Pages

4/08/2016

ART LATE BLOOMERS

It hasn’t been easy these past weeks (virtually all Nigerians can relate to this, one word, four letters, so much pain, stress and anger…. “FUEL”). Electricity has been epileptic as always, transportation fare is a major pain in the butt (In moments like these, I wish I had a magical broomstick) not to couple it up with the NYSC final clearance for Batch A youth corpers.
So much stress for such a young generation, atimes I wonder if we have a president (we do actually and he travels a lot!) oh well, I still have faith in his administration. The fact that I do not know who I may be inspiring via this simple art blog is the sole reason why I strive to continue posting even if not regularly.

All the time, I imagine if I was born in another realm whereby the belief that only through academics can one be truly successful doesn’t hold water.., I imagine the heights I would have attained, investing years into art and not into something I never really liked nor understood all in the name of making parents happy. Do I feel sad? Yeah. But do I have regrets? Nope.
Studying science has broadened my mind in so many indescribable ways, what I can do and undo these days is unlimited. If one doesn’t achieve success early, does that mean you are a failure? I don’t think so. Although this generation has so many early bloomers than I can count, making one feel so damn jealous. But my dear, you knoweth not of God’s plan, too many human beings think the chance to gain ultimate wealth ends in their 20s, meanwhile studies show that majority of billionaires (except those who inherit it) stumbled upon wealth at a later age. (30s, 40s, 50s).
I’m not in any hurry to be great, it’s something that will happen eventually, patience is what people lack, here are two examples of late bloomers that had a massive impact in art world;
Grandma Moses

She worked on a farm most of her life. She only started painting in her late seventies after retirement from farming duties. She entered some of her paintings into her local county fair, but didn’t win any prizes. Her work was discovered by art collector, Louis Caldor. Grandma Moses later enjoyed over twenty years of painting success and became folk art sensation. She painted up until her death at 101 years old.

Bill Traylor

He was broke and homeless at 85years old. To pass the time, he started drawing and displaying his work on the streets of Montgomery, Alabama. A fellow artist Charles Shannon noticed Traylor’s talent and brought him better tools. Bill Traylor made well over a 1,000 pieces of art in his lifetime, many of which are still displayed and celebrated today.
A creative life has its ups and downs, you can’t have it good forever neither can you have it bad forever, there must be a balance, ying and yang, night and day. And always remember to never ever give up.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome...